Machine design is a creative process that requires a clear understanding of the overall objectives and a good attention to detail. The designer must draw on a mix of theoretical knowledge, practical experience and intuition. I believe that quality must be built into each and every stage of the design.
I use SoildWorks for 3D CAD modelling. My skills include:
- Part and assembly modelling
- Sheet metal
- Direct editing
- Drawings for manufacture (profile cutting, CNC machining, 3D printing etc)
- Bill of materials
ParaView is used for post processing of simulation results.
I work predominately with structural applications using Finite Element Analysis. I work with the following analysis types:
- Solid Mechanics (linear and non-linear)
- Thermal (linear and non-linear)
- Steady state and transient
I create user interfaces that are simple and intuitive. I produce code that is well structured and modular. Using these principles I produce systems that are characteristically robust and reliable. They are easy to troubleshoot, maintain and extend. In short, they are a pleasure to use.
- PLC programming (especially with ICE 61131-3 programming languages)
- Motion control (servo applications)
- HMI design
If you would like to see your industrial machine come to life, please give me a call today.
TEST & MEASUREMENT
Data acquisition is a powerful tool for troubleshooting machine failure. It can also be used for life prediction, validation of simulation results and process optimisation.
I have experience in measuring the following quantities:
- strain (strain gauges)
- force (load cells)
- displacement (laser distance sensors and inductive proximity sensors)
- acceleration (piezoelectric and MEMS)
- temperature (thermocouples, RTDs and thermal imaging)
- pressure (transducers)
- location (GPS)
I have extensive experience is in the area of stress analysis and strain gauging.